Featured Post

15 Potential Stars of The Combine

By Red Zone Insider 1. Corey Davis, WR Western Michigan 2. Leonard Fournette, RB LSU 3. Mike Williams, WR Clemson 4. Myles Garrett, DE ...

Monday, January 18, 2016

Azziz Higgins Interview

 

By Barb Layton

I think you will find the interview with Azziz to be encouraging. He seems to be a leader and know what he wants to do with his future. He has a good understanding of the game of football and wants people to see their are many excellent players at a small school. He feels they all need a chance to succeed.

6-2, 231, 40 time 4.65

 For people who do not know your story, how did you end up choosing Gardner Webb?

Well I wasn't highly recruited out of high school even though I played for a very good program but after my senior season I took 2 trips one to the citadel and one to Gardner-Webb University, I had my mind set on going to Citadel but when I called to commit they told me they weren't giving any more scholarships for linebackers. I was crushed, I really had my sights set on going to this school. So the next day I committed to Gardner-Webb University and I feel like I came in with a chip on my shoulder and I was going to prove every school who over looked me wrong. I'm glad I chose Gardner-Webb University because it's taught me so much and has giving me the much needed development as player. It's been a true blessing.

Since you are from a smaller school, How do you plan on making yourself stand out?

They way I plan to stand out is showing the scouts that not only I am quick, fast, and strong but I am also a very intelligent player and I feel that scouts, coaches, GMs, etc really value an intelligent football player.

What separates you from the other players at your position?

 I feel it's my consistency, once I get going there's really no breaking my rhythm and that helps me make clear decisions and be around the ball a lot

Is their a specific NFL player that you try to model your game after?

There is no specific one, but I do like the way Navarro Bowman, Lavonte David, Thomas Davis, and Luke Kuechly play the game, they are great linebackers.

Who is the toughest player you have ever faced in your college career?

Toughest player had to be a RB from UNCC, he was a hard runner

How do you prepare for game day, and do you have any game day rituals?

If I have a really good game I try to repeat exactly what I did the week before and also I always listen to drake before I take the field

What was your favorite play/moment at Gardner Webb?

My favorite moment at Gardner-Webb had to be when we beat Liberty University for homecoming for the first time since I been at the school and they were like our rivals plus it meant everything to my position coach who was apart of the program for 15 years.

What would you say are your strengths and weaknesses?

One of my strengths are intelligence and one my weaknesses are being more patient during the beginning of a play

Coming out of high school, what programs showed interest in you?

Kentucky, Purdue, Citadel, Lafayette, Navy, Central Florida, and Lenoir Ryan is all I can remember so the schools that showed me love was all over the place in terms of division.

What areas of your game are you trying to improve?

 I want to improve in all aspect of my game because the next level is a different animal and I feel like that I should strive to be the better in ever part of my game, not just one.

What was your childhood like?

My childhood was filled with of big family invents and spending a lot of time with my siblings. Spending time with my siblings was what I did mostly because I have 7 siblings so I was never alone.

What do you enjoy most about football?

I enjoy being able to make long-term friendships with men you grind with everyday. Also the atmosphere of game day is like no other.

What is the most important trait for a Linebacker?

Intelligence and instincts

Finish the sentence, Azziz Higgins is?

Azziz Higgins is a who he is and if you ever get a chance to meet him enjoy

What makes you an unique individual?

What makes me unique is the fact that I don't try an follow the pack, I try and find my own way.

Which underclassman on your team should people keep an eye on?

I say look at the whole team, there is loads of talent that gets over looked here at Gardner-Webb

Using one word how would you describe your style of play?

Consistent

We would like to thank Azziz for doing this interview.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment